Sites of Interest

Cecil County, MD

Mount Harmon

600 Mt. Harmon Road
Earleville, MD  21919
410-275-8819
 
The interpretive site for the Bicentennial activities south of the C&D Canal - Mount Harmon features a restored 18th century manor house, plantation kitchen, formal boxwood garden, rare tobacco Prize House, 200-acres of pristine open space nature trails, and a spectacular waterfront setting.

Kitty Knight Grave Site

Kitty Knight grave site @ St. Francis Xavier Shrine Cemetery
Bohemia Church Road
Warwick, MD  21912
 
Katherine (Kitty) Knight was a heroine of the War of 1812.  She defied British Officer, Admiral Cockburn – who had Fredericktown and the lower part of Georgetown burned - and convinced him to spare the two fine brick houses on the hill, one of which was home to a sick and elderly woman.  A local newspaper in 1855 wrote that her appeal so moved the officer that he ordered the troops to their barges and left unburned a church and several houses standing there as monuments to her memory for this noble and hazardous act.

Fort Defiance

Attacked by the British just prior to the attack on Havre de Grace. The British were driven off by the defenders of the Fort located in the area known as Elton today.

Charlestown

241 Market St.
Charlestown, MD 21914
410-287-6173
 
Attractive vista can be used to tell what was happening to places that resisted the British.

Elk Landing

590 Landing Lane
Elkton, MD 21911-0277
410-620-6400
 
Since this is a public site, it is an excellent place to tell the story of the somewhat complicated campaign on the Upper Elk River. 
 

Fredericktown (Burning of Village)

In terms of Cecil County engagements, this was the one of the two major ones.  Excellent vistas and strong story potential about attack on Fredericktown & Georgetown.

Frenchtown (Burning of Village)

In terms of Cecil County engagements, this was a significant one and there is a rich archaeological and historical record to draw from.  However, there is no public land.

Principio Iron Works

1760 Principio Furnace Road
Perryville, MD  21903
410-642-9213

The British attacked the Principio Furnace cannon factory. This was one of their important objectives in their invasion of the Upper Bay.

Rodgers Tavern

259 Broad St.
Perryville, MD  21903
410-642-6066
 
Susquehanna & Havre de Grace during campaign. Excellent vantage point to discuss British strategy on Upper Chesapeake, including staging areas and activities in Havre de Grace; Commodore John Rodgers instrumental in Battle of Baltimore & other War of 1812 engagements.
 

Port Deposit

Town Hall
64 S. Main Street
Port Deposit, MD  21904
 
Located along the shores of the Susquehanna River, the town went on alert following destruction at the hands of the British at Lapidum.  Legend says that as British boats turned towards the Cecil town, fishermen alerted the English that men in Port Deposit could shoot the eye of a squirrel at 100 yards.  The boats turned around and never attacked the town.

Harford County, MD

The O'Neil House

 Mr. John O’Neil was given the job as lighthouse keeper for his service during the attack on Havre de Grace.

Mount Adams (private residence)

Mount Adams was home to Captain John A. Webster who played an intricate role in the Battle for Fort McHenry.  He was awarded two commemorative gold swords from the State of Maryland and the City of Baltimore for his service.

Sion Hill (private residence)

Sion Hill was home to Commodore John Rodgers and wife.  John Rodgers was one of Harford’s most renowned Naval Officers.  During the War of 1812 he was responsible for many of the victories the American Navy had over the British.

Site of Bloomsbury Estate/Pringle Mansion

Site of prominent home where several citizens of Havre de Grace sought refuge during the 1813 attack.

Spesucie Island

Known today as Spesutia Island and is located off the coastline of Eastern Harford County.

Susquehanna Flats

Area of shallow water where the Susquehanna River meets the Chesapeake Bay. This shallow water prevented the British from bringing their larger ships into the Havre de Grace area and they were forced to row smaller boats from ships to Havre de Grace.

The Concord Point Lighthouse

Constructed in 1827, the Concord Point Lighthouse is the second oldest tower lighthouse on the Chesapeake Bay and the oldest continuous lighthouse in Maryland. It is located where the Susquehanna River meets the Chesapeake Bay.
 
Open May-October on Sat, Sun and holidays from 1-5pm. Grounds are open year- round.

The Rodgers House (226 N. Washington St)

St. Johns Episcopal Church (corner of Congress and Union) and the Aveilhe-Goldsborough House (300 North Union Ave) all survived (partially survived) the 1813 attack on Havre de Grace.