The British Forces come ashore in Cecil County

April 28, 1813

The British land in Cecil County.  For the first time during the second war with England, British land along the shores of the Elk River near Turkey Point.  There was no resistance.

Cecil County Citizens encounter British Forces

April 29, 1813

The first skirmish on Cecil County soil took place.  Exploring parties who had come ashore at Welch Point, encountered a small squad of local militia, now on high alert.  After a brief exchange, the militia retires.

British Forces attack Frenchtown

April 29, 1813

The British attacked Frenchtown, one of their important objectives.  Frenchtown was a small village south of Elkton (east end of the turnpike across the Peninsula from Cecil County to New Castle, DE), which bustled with shipping and transportation activity.  British assaulted the small village and easily overran its defenses.  They burned buildings and sank vessels.


British Forces sail for Elkton

May 3, 1813

The British headed for Elkton.  Two small earthen forts, Fort Hollingsworth & Fort Defiance, at the head of the Elk River, manned by locals, successfully repulsed this phase of the British operation.

British Forces attack and burn the City of Havre de Grace

May 3, 1813
The British attacked and burned the City of Havre de Grace.  Approximately 400 British soldiers destroyed the city in the matter of a few hours.

British Forces attack Bell's Ferry near Lapidum

May 3, 1813
An attack occurred on Bell’s Ferry near Lapidum.  The British burned down a warehouse containing several hundred barrels of flour.

Citizens of Port Deposit prepare for British Forces arriving along its shores

May 3, 1813
Citizens of Port Deposit prepared for a British arrival along its shores.  After the British burned the village of Lapidum, citizens of Port Deposit prepared its defenses.

Charlestown spots Red Coats off their shore

May 3, 1813
Charlestown, the site of Cecil’s first County Seat was the next to spot red coats off their shore.  By some accounts, they sent a peace party to greet the British Admiral who left the town undamaged. By other accounts, when ships arrived in their harbor, which housed a deteriorated fort, the populace had already fled, allowing troops to search the abandoned town.   By all accounts, Charlestown did not suffer a devastating blow. 

Principio Furnace attacked by British Forces

May 3, 1813
Principio Furnace was attacked by the British who considered the cannon factory to be a priority.  They aimed to cripple the operation and they succeeded.

British Forces attack settlements along the Sassafras River

May 6, 1813
The British attacked settlements along the Sassafras River.    Despite an attempt by local militia to defend the villages, British overran their defenses and plundered and burned Fredericktown & Georgetown.

British Forces retired their attacks along the Upper Bay

May 7, 1813
The British retired their attacks along the Upper Bay, and sailed away.